- NAME: Pyrrha (*pronounced “peer-ah”), from Greek mythology and Italo Calvino’s Invisible Cities, which my husband and I loved.
- FULL NAME: Pyrrha Louise Pratt
- BREED: German shepherd dog
- DATE OF BIRTH: 6 March 2011
- DATE WE ADOPTED HER: 17 May 2012
- HISTORY: From Southeast German Shepherd Rescue, who rescued her from a backyard breeder in NC.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that I’ve been waiting my whole life for this dog. Since I was a little kid, my dream of having a dog of my own has been an ever-present obsession, culminating in the creation of this blog and my year of concentrated canine research.
That long-held dream was finally realized on 17 May 2012, when we welcomed Pyrrha home, from Southeast German Shepherd Rescue, a group that I can’t say enough good things about.
Pyrrha was rescued, along with 14 other shepherds, from a backyard breeder in North Carolina who decided to close down his operation. Pyrrha came to us very sweet and curious, but quite under-socialized as a result of her upbringing by a less-than-scrupulous breeder. Pyrrha is very much a blank slate at this point, and we are looking forward to sharing our journey with her here.
- Sit (Verbal: “Sit” / Signal: Index finger raised)
- Lie down on the ground (Verbal: “Down” / Signal: Palm moving downward)
- Target a palm (Verbal: “Touch” / Signal: Open palm facing her)
- Go to mat (Verbal / Signal: Pointing at mat)
- Ringing a bell to be let outside
- Sitting back on her haunches and waving her front paws (Verbal: Be pretty!)
- Look at that!
- Premack’s principle (Come and release)
LOCAL CANINE FRIENDS
- Ozzie: German shepherd dog
- Roland: Spaniel/hound mix
- Silas: Great Pyrenees/lion mix
- Zoe: Lab/border collie mix
- Loki: Newfoundland
- Heath: Golden retriever
- Parker: Pit/boxer mix
- Nell-abell: Lab/beagle mix