On my first day as a volunteer dog walker for the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA, I learned that:
- The people who work here are doing their utmost to care for these many homeless animals.
- Sometimes, the dog you’re walking doesn’t want to run around. Sometimes they just want to sit beside you and be stroked.
- Hounds can retrieve quite well. I bonded most with Oliver, a small and young hound mix, who was adorable and played fetch with me and then chased me around the pen, play-bowing the whole time. Stole my heart.
- The pit bull I walked had the sweetest and quietest demeanor of all the dogs I interacted with.
- Dogs become highly reactive when in the presence of dozens of other agitated, barking dogs.
- I can’t wait to go back next weekend!