Well, it’s official: this little monster is ours!
The paperwork is in, and the rescue has confirmed. We foster failed, and now we’re responsible for the life of this crazy baby. After a host of foster dogs, I confess that it still feels kind of weird to think that we’re her family forever. But we’re excited about it!
Other Eden updates:
- Her relationship with Pyrrha continues to go smoothly, although it does resemble the relationship of an older sister to a pesky younger one. Eden is learning to respect Pyrrha’s warnings, and Pyrrha is really doing an admirable job of showing tolerance and even handicapping herself in play (rolling on the ground with her belly up, something she rarely does for younger dogs).
- My big concern, as of this morning, is that Eden threw up her last two meals. I think she’s just eating them too quickly all of the sudden, because she hasn’t done this in the three weeks that we’ve had her. And she’s only thrown up when she gets kibble in a bowl (not in the food toys). So I’m guessing there’s some correlation. Will split up her meals and/or solely feed from toys going forward, to see if that’s the issue.
- Eden is doing amazingly well at showing self-restraint with greetings. We’ve been teaching her to sit (instead of leaping and clawing at a human’s face with overeager joy), and she’s been listening! I’m kind of amazed. Even though she can drive us crazy sometimes, she has a surprising amount of self-control for an adolescent.
- She’s walking very nicely on the leash, and thanks to her new harness, I can now walk both girls together by myself. Post about this to come!
- I’d like to get her out and playing with other dogs. Our yard has been so horrible with all of the rain that I feel loath to invite anyone over right now, because the visiting dogs would leave wearing lovely full-body shade of red clay.
Can’t believe we have two dogs! We’re excited.