Here are our training goals for February!
February Goals for Pyrrha
- “Wait.” We’ve been working on this for a while, and I think she’s finally getting it, but we need to generalize this command to other places. So far, we’ve just been practicing it in the basement, and now I think she thinks it’s just a basement activity.
- Continue working on crate-exiting calmness.
- Continue working on classical conditioning protocol for perceiving small children.
- “Leave it!” Pyrrha could also use a refresher on this command; we don’t practice it enough with her (probably because she doesn’t have the same inclination as the puppy does to put everything in her mouth).
February Goals for Eden
- Recall. Generalize this command; keep practicing it when she’s barking pointlessly in the yard.
- “Go to your mat.” Teach her to go to her place and then chill out there. Should also probably get her a more substantial dog bed than an old quilt…
- Tolerating grooming/handling behaviors, such as letting someone grab her paws, open her mouth, look at her teeth, groom her, etc. She’s a very people-friendly dog, but she doesn’t seem to have been exposed to much of this. Most recently, I’ve been clicking and treating her for her permitting me to open her mouth and look at her teeth.
- Curbing the counter-surfing. Arrgggh.
- Continuing to work on not jumping on people.
- “Leave it!”
What do you hope to teach your dogs in February?